Monday, March 14, 2011

Rohini Rau: Only Indian Sailor At The Perth International Regatta 2010

Rohini Rau: Only Indian Sailor At The Perth International Regatta 2010

Seven world number ones have confirmed their participation at Perth International Regatta (PIR), the test event for the 2011 World Sailing Championships. The PIR has attracted 230 boats from over 40 countries and starts on Tuesday. The Regatta will run from 16 to 21 November 2010. Athlete entries include triple Gold and Silver Olympic Medallist Ben Ainslie from Great Britain, six current World Champions and four 2010 ISAF ‘World Sailor of the Year’ award finalists!

perthrohini

Only Indian Sailor at PIR 2010

I, Rohini Rau, am the sole participant from India competing in the Laser Radial Class. So far there are about 70 entries confirmed. The Perth International Regatta is the test event for The Perth 2011 World Championship which will serve as the first qualifier event for the 2012 Olympics. This event is where 75% of the country quota or 29 countries will qualify.

I am looking forward to this test event as I will know exactly where I stand and therefore will know how much more I will need to work towards making the cut to qualify next year. I have to finish among the top 29 countries at the Perth 2011 World Championship next year in order to qualify India for the 2012 Olympics in London.

Typical Perth Sailing conditions

The conditions have been very typical to Perth… with strong sea breeze “Fremantle Doctor” and warm sunny temperatures. I feel like Perth is almost my second home… and that I am sailing on home waters as this is my 3rd time here making it a total of 5 months of sailing here. I have been training hard off the waters of Fremantle, Perth, for the last four weeks as part of the Fifth Emerging Nations Programme Camp under top coaches, Arthur Brett and Belinda Stowell. With the intensive preparations on water and fitness training I have been going through, I think I am ready to give it my best shot. Wish me luck!

I would like to acknowledge the support from the Yachting Association of India (YAI) and the Sports Development Authority of Tamil Nadu (SDAT).

No comments: